Friday, June 3, 2011

Final Pieces of Junior Year!

Well now I'm a senior. What? I still feel like I just finished foundation year! I'm not ready to graduate! I haven't made anything good yet! Here are the final pieces from my three studio courses I took the past spring semester.


This is an untitled, it's approximately 3 feet long. I made this by dipping a bundle of horse hair into a mixture of soy and bee wax. This piece was a struggle due to the fact that it actually fell and broke in half twice and the wax would over time slip off of the hair.


This is my Projects II final. Our prompt was beauty and how we interpret it. I titled this "I haven't showered in a week...still wanna fuck?" It's loosely based off of the relationship I had while I was making "This Just In". The materials used were horse hair, wax and satin ribbon. I needle felted the hair on the right and brushed the hell out of the one on the left.
I think this is beautiful because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While someone may be beautiful on the outside they may be a real bitch in reality. Are they still beautiful? And sometimes a person may be crusty or not fit into what our society say is beautiful but is also the most wonderful loving person. Does that make them beautiful?

Finally this is my Advanced final. We had to pattern out something that was hard and make it out of fabric. I chose to make a toilet. I used linen to make the piece and it is clearly not a very sturdy material causing it to sink in multiple spots. I should have used canvas but what can I do now? I'm really satisfied with the pattern and the sewing. This was actually the first time I used a sewing machine!

I have a lot of plans for this summer as far as making is concerned. I really want to make a solid portfolio and all that jazz!

1 comment: